Hang tight while we look up scheduled events...
Our desire is for every child, no matter how young, to experience church as a safe and comfortable place where they belong as part of God’s family. Our curriculum, Orange FirstLook, emphasizes three basic truths we impress through our stories, crafts, games, and playtime: God made me, God loves me, and Jesus wants to be my friend forever.
K - 4TH GRADE
Our program for K-4th grade students includes 3 major elements; praise and worship, large group teaching; small group activities and prayer. We utilize a web-based curriculum published by “The reThink Group” called Orange. There are 3 core truths we want kids to know:
- I can trust God no matter what – because the Bible is the source of wisdom and truth. (Wisdom & Character)
- I need to make the wise choice – because what I learn from the Bible applies to my daily life. (Faith)
- I should treat others the way I want to be treated – because my relationships with my small group leaders and friends matter. (Friendship & Relationship)
Most kids form their entire idea of whom God is and choose whether or not they will have a relationship with Him before leaving 5th grade. To this end, we strive to provide students with the understanding and tools needed to continue their spiritual journey and “next steps” into middle school. The program includes 2 elements; Inductive Bible Study & Divin’ In Series.
- Bible Study – 5th graders participate in an inductive study of some of the New Testament Books of the Bible (Philemon, Ephesians, Philippians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, James). These studies help students “study” truths in the Bible, and apply them to their lives. The study takes place in a “small group discussion” format.
- Divin’ In – A 10-week interactive class designed to help kids explore and build upon their spiritual growth as they learn about God’s Master Plan, His Word and His expectations of us as believers. Some of the topics covered include Creation, the Trinity, Sin, the Bible, the Holy Spirit, Spiritual Gifts, Worship, Prayer, how to study the Bible, and much more.
Imagine the difference if every leader, every volunteer, every parent was on the same page, working toward the same end. What if we all believed our mission was connected to how we:
- Incite Wonder
- Provoke Discovery
- Fuel Passion in the heart of every child
What if you could help change how kids and families see their world and their future connected to a Heavenly Father who loves them unconditionally?
It takes hundreds of volunteers each week to help connect kids and families to the Sunset Church community where everyone is known, welcomed and accepted. At Sunset, every volunteer has influence that is meaningful and significant to the life of the church. Are you ready to help change how kids see their world, and their future? Here are next steps if you are interested in volunteering in Children’s Ministry at Sunset:
Complete a Volunteer Application and turn it in at the Welcome Desk at the East Entry any Sunday morning:
Student Volunteer (under 18) Application >
Adult Volunteer (over the age of 18) Application >
OR call the Children’s Ministry Office at 503-292-9293 for more details
SAFETY & SECURITY TRAINING
SAFETY & SECURITY TRAINING
Complete the following 3 steps to fulfill your Safety & Security requirements for serving in Children’s Ministry:
- Watch the video
- Review the additional training material (found within the pdf below)
- Complete and turn in the quiz at the Welcome Desk at the East Entry Safety Quiz pdf >